![]() |
Standing in a trench coat a tall man with a beard was
shaking a jar of change panhandling as I walked out of the coffee shop, I
busted a left into the Promenade and decided to check out the local
surroundings before I went up to Hollywood. When I turned the corner I noticed
that there was a street show going on, a young boy of roughly 8 years old was
showing of his strength and acrobatic skills by lifting his father all over his
head. The crowd erupted with oohs and
ah's as the young boy said “Thank You” in a Slavic accent, bowed, then passed
around a tip jar. I took a stroll up the
courtyard which spans about 4 blocks checking out the sights and the street
shows before heading back up to the Boulevard in search of a bus stop, the bus
drops off at on the Boulevard but does not pick up and head back towards
downtown for several blocks east of the beach. I found a stop and in 15 minutes
I was boarding a bus towards Hollywood.
My research had shown me that there were two “24 Hour” gyms
in Hollywood so my logic told me that I should go to the one closest which was
in West Hollywood. I got off the bus at
the nearest stop and found it quite easily.
When I walked into the gym it looked very nice, much nicer than the 24 Hour Fitness in Santa Cruz. I approached
the desk and the gentleman very cordially invited me and offered me a tour
around the facility. “What a great
facility” I thought, as we walked throughout I soon realized that everyone was
being extremely friendly as I passed, smiling and winking and such. It wasn’t
long until I also realized that all of the patrons of this Gym were men and I
put 2 and 2 together and realized that this was WEST HOLLYWOOD and I had
selected the “GAY” 24 Hour Fitness. I
finished the tour and sat down at the desk with the gentleman and signed my contract
knowing that I could use ANY “24 Hour Fitness” and I probably wouldn’t return
to this one. I think Gay people are
great and I have lived in some predominately Homosexual neighborhoods in some
cities, but this particular one is not where I would feel most comfortable
taking my showers. This was my first experience in West Hollywood, life is
funny.
When I left the gym as if on cue, my telephone rang it was a
woman from “Standing Room Only”, she asked me if I was available to attend a
taping of “Don’t Forget the Lyrics” and I quickly obliged. She told me I needed to be at the studio at
2pm and it was around 11:30 and to come wearing solid colors, no black and no
white, I was wearing some cut off “Dickie's” and a white T-Shirt so I figured I
better find some clothes, I had to think of a plan and FAST!. Quickly I boarded the express big red express
bus to Hollywood and I hopped out at the big “Target” store, I had a little
time so I knew that worst case scenario I could find something to wear there,
money was tight and I had to explore my options.
I walked towards the address of the studio with the clock
ticking away when on my left I noticed a thrift store called “Out of the Closet”,
when I walked in the door I quickly noticed that it was full of flashy designer
clothing and found a rack that was a
clearance rack. Amazingly, I was able to
find a pair of designer jeans and a stylish shirt for a total of $12. I went to the counter and paid and I learned
that this was a chain of thrift stores which all of the proceeds went to fund
AIDS research. I had what I needed and I also had done a good deed, now I needed
to get changed, lose my backpack and get to the television studio. I had no plan, I was flying by the seat of my
pants and things were working out in fine fashion, right across the street was
the 24 Hour Fitness of Hollywood, perfect timing.
It’s funny how life has a way of giving you everything you
need. If you just go with the flow of life and don’t worry, things always seem
to work out. I was learning that you can
do what you want and have fun and things will unfold and they were unfolding in
perfect order. As I showered and
shaved and I pondered what was next, the excitement was fueling my positive energy and I was
beginning the ride of my life, in just an hour I would be walking into the
famous Paramount Studios to be on the set of a TV show staring Wayne Brady and
I was getting paid for it!!! Last night
I was sleeping on the beach.
Thanks again for reading the continuation of adventures in L.A. Please follow on and share with
friends. Hopefully you enjoy these
snippets of my life, I know I did.
~tilly
Please LIKE me on facebook Tilly's
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment