Monday, August 5, 2013

LOS ANGELES ADVENTURES: Santa Monica cont.


I woke up the morning of July 4, a bit disoriented and shaken up by the sounds of loud motors, a bright light and then trembling of the ground beneath me.   While I had yet to experience my first earthquake, this was not one.  The sun had not yet graced the blue ocean with its glimmer and I quickly hopped to my feet gripping my belongings, which I had strapped to my body in my slumber.  As I looked towards the light I recognized that it was a large machine dragging a rake to comb the beach of debris before the people flooded the sands for the Independence Day festivities.  I gathered my things and headed towards the pier, hoping to find a water fountain to brush my teeth.  On my trek towards the pier as the sun began to rise, I began to notice others waking as well, some homeless and some lovers who had spent the night under the moonlight together.

Along with the variety of odd characters that I noticed waking up with the Santa Monica beach, I also notice that there were quite a few things cluttering the sand, a random pair of shoes, an umbrella, a full bottle of wine.  I decided to pick up the fully corked bottle of wine and the beach umbrella and add it to my collection after all, today I was getting a storage locker.  I walked under the pier and took a right and noticed a VW bus, you know the kind that hippies used to follow the Grateful Dead and such, there was a guy strumming a banjo and a couple of others waiting in line.  My curiosity could not keep me from wandering towards them and finding out what it is they were waiting for at 6 am next to the pier.

“Hello, I said” to a bearded gentleman of about 60, “How are you this morning?”  “Fine and dandy” he stated and he reached over and handed me a joint.  We sat there for a minute as he picked his instrument before I noticed a gentleman walk out a door.   “What’s in that door, I asked”, “Bathhouse” he said, “Get yer ass in there and git cleaned up” and that’s the last thing that he said. 

I went through the door and inside were a few sinks, a few showers with curtains.  There was an older black man at one of the sinks dressed in a nice suit and shaving.  I thought to myself  “what is this doing here in the side of the pier?”, but I was grateful and I quickly showered, shaved and then made my way to the little coffee shop on the corner of 4th and Santa Monica, my office.  “God works in funny ways” I thought.  I had exactly what I needed, right when I needed it.
Please follow me for the next few weeks as I daily continue the story of my Los Angeles adventures.  Magical things happened throughout this adventure.  Some entries may be brief and some, more extensive, but I will continue to tell my story on a regular basis, if you continue to loyal read…and even if you don’t.
1 love

`tilly

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love one tliiy!
Mom