Monday, July 7, 2008

Church

I went to a unique church this weekend. It was a Pentecostal one and while I am usual very skeptical of these types of churches dues to my childhood, I was very intrigued by the concept, plus there was a free meal involved. I was already planning on going to church this day anyhow and while my philosophy is a Buddhist one, I would be a hypocrite if I did not embrace and accept the positive messages that every Religion has to offer and I will continue to embrace the positive teachings of each and every Religion.

I was pleasantly surprised with the event. While I tend to look at this sect of Christianity as money seeking and controlling, this place was one of the most pure and real places I have every seen in Christianity and I left the event relieved. You see, this place was ran by an African American man (my favorite type of church) and his mission is to reach people of the street. While I had been associating with some of those types, I decided to bring them along.

Upon entering this place I was impressed to see this gentleman sitting and eating with prostitutes, crackheads and those types. Not only was this guy eating with them, but his wife personally made all of the food and his family served people before the service. WONDERFUL! Upon getting there I was a bit hungry, but I had some money and guilt took me over, due to the sincerity and purity of this family and the downtrodden in the audience it made me feel quite guilty thinking of taking advantage of the great deal, so instead I drank some coffee and ate a small snack. Even though a large portion of the group had issues, the joy in the room was a very uplifting thing and then came the sermon.

How surprised I was to find to asking of money (even though they clearly needed it) and the message was one of hope, quite uplifting! Not once during this sermon did this man tell the people they were going to hell, he hugged and shook hands with even the homosexuals in the group and he genuinely enjoyed what he was doing, the energy was GREAT! Even though I had little, I gave to this establishment (which was merely a big room with various pictures of Martin Luther King Jr. on the wall) and I offered my assistance in the future.

This weekend I was put in check, I realized that we can all be judgemental and no matter the negative that goes on in the Christian religion, there truly ARE people who run churches who desire and try to be like Jesus in there own lives and that was a refreshing thing for me to see. We must remember that no matter how much bad there is in life, there is always good to balance it out and I would encourage everyone to try something that is scary, weird and new!!

~one love

tilly

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aw, I'm glad you found a cool church. I know that ol' Apponaug did a number on a lot of the families that went there. I know it certainly affected mine! :-) The church I attend nowadays is so much nicer and really tries to reach out to the community, which I love.