I introduced Sam and Carlos to my friends on Venice
Boardwalk and went on my way alone, back towards Santa Monica. Carlos and Sam did not have cell phones, so I
was not sure how we would get in touch, but we agreed to meet back at the Pier
around dusk. I was only a few steps
towards Santa Monica when I met Abraham. Strolling through Venice is an adventure in
itself and there are various artist types lining the street. While admire some art I noticed a hippy van
of sorts with a bunch of very strange and offensive art when I was approached
by an older black man, maybe late fifties with dreadlocks. “Yah hungry?” the man asked. I looked up at this smiling man and replied
that I wasn’t, but I knew some people who were. He took me over to a giant tarp placed by his van
and he lifted the massive piece of plastic, underneath was a variety of fresh
produce. Abraham told me to come back
whenever I wished and to bring my friends “Ya never know what I got under there”
he shouted “just tell ‘em to put the tarp back and don’t be greedy!” I changed my mind and grabbed a cup of
chopped pineapple from the dredheaded artist, thanked him and went on my way.
As I scrambled through the bikes and skateboards whisking
through the packed streets, I thanked God for the people that were being placed
into my life at this moment. I was glad
to be here NOW and grateful for how easy the cosmos were making things in this peculiar
escapade. I quietly kept to myself as I
walked the bustling beach towards the town.
I walked up to a little beach side bodega and purchased a pack of smokes
and a $1 scratch off ticket. As I prepared to depart from the store, out
of the corner of my eye I spotted my Native American friend reading a comic
book. “Apache” I exclaimed! Wildly, my
red skinned friend turned around and gave me a big smile, “C’mon bro” he said
and then he hopped on a BMX big and raced towards the pier.
I could barely keep up as I watched my pal swerve in and
out of people ahead of me on his
bike. I inched closer towards the
pier and saw a crowd gathered all the way around it, out to the streets. Suddenly, a loud blast of an air horn blew off
and I looked towards the end of the pier and noticed that there was a giant
ramp on the beach supplied by Red Bull, I looked up, and 3 parachuted figures
dropped from the sky and onto the beach in front of me. “What took you so long?” asked Apache. My friend was quick like lightning and again vanished. Within’ moments he was back,
riding circles around me and laughing hysterically. “There’s a lot going on
right now bro” he said. Apache told me
that a dude was getting ready to jump on a motorcycle over the entire pier and
all of the rides. We found a spot of and
the corner and smoked a joint as a little man made his first approach to the
ramp.
We sat on a giant rock and watched as the man made several
attempts at the ramp when finally he sped up and hit the end. Amazed, I looked up as two tires jetted into
the sky and flew over the roller coaster on the Pier. “Cool, stuffs about to happen” whispered my friend
“I’m on a spirit walk, living off the land.” I learned that this evening there
would be music on the pier and there was a some French guy who was designing a “Pop-Up”
style “RAVE” on the beach for the weekend.
Things were about to get nuts.
After sitting for a while, my friend whizzed off once again, “I’ll see
you again” and then he was gone. I
reached into the pocket of my cutoff Dickies and I grabbed my ticked and
scratched, the ticket was called “Crazy 8’s” and I got 3, my paycheck today was
$88.
Thanks for reading my stories!
Sometimes I make links
in my story as I
did in this
Click on the "Abraham"
link in the story
to hear him
play.
"like me on FACEBOOK Tilly's


No comments:
Post a Comment