What better way to start my Atlanta blogging then by blogging about the place where I spent most of my Atlanta time, The Iberian Pig in Decatur Square. Decatur, Georgia is a small little city just outside of Atlanta, it is where I dropped myself upon arriving in Atlanta and that is where The Iberian Pig is located.
I arrived in Atlanta after spending some brief time in Sarasota, I briefly had been working at a place where I was made to feel unwelcome and my self esteem was kind of low, that’s when I discovered Downtown Decatur, a place where I would soon make many great friends and memories, a place where I would call home for 3 years.
When I got to Atlanta, I was staying with my father and I had heard about this “Decatur Place”. I was told that there were a bunch of really cool restaurants and bars in that little area, so I did some research and stumbled upon this brand new restaurant called the Iberian Pig. One day I hopped on the train and got off in the Decatur Square and went to investigate this new place. I sat on the steps of the square and just watched this place for a day, then two and soon began talking to members of the staff as they set up the outdoor patio.
What a cool place this seemed to be, it was a brand new concept and was receiving quite a bit of attention regionally. Spanish inspired tapas, farm to table food and a Prohibition Era cocktail bar. I soon decided that this was the place where I wanted to work, not knowing that it would end up being an experience that would impact my life forever, producing memories and bonds which would last a lifetime. I printed up a resume and went a knocking on the door and that’s how my Atlanta experience began.
Upon entering “The Pig” I couldn’t help but be intrigued by all of the dark wood and wine bottles strategically placed throughout the establishment. This place was comfy, yet quirky and just had an instant energy about it, even though it was empty. That’s when I met Fred Castellucci, Fred walked up excited and full of energy, at the time I didn’t know it was “his place” but the passion and excitement about the things that were happening were clearly apparent in his mannerisms. We talked and it went well and I was asked to come “stage” and try out as a server on Friday night. I picked up a menu and walked out the door excited at the opportunity for a new start and ready to learn more about new foods in this new concept.
I brought the menu home and boy was I overwhelmed all of these Spanish terms and wines. I had been in the business quite a bit and this was just another league. Not only were all of these ingredients foreign to me, but when I researched the menu items they were not traditional Spanish dises. Chef Chad Crete had taken Spanish ingredients and created his own concoctions. I would soon learn that “Huevos con Trufa” was much, much more than just eggs and truffle. I studied more and more, trying to prepare myself for my first day studying the Regions of Spain and I learned that “The Iberian Pig” actually referred to a Spanish delicacy “Jamon Iberico” which was the prized cured meat of Spain and regionally, “The Pig” was the only place who imported this stuff. As I prepared for my first day, I was intimidated yet cocky enough to think I was ready for what was coming, boy was I in for a surprise.
I walked into my first day my first day at the Pig the first thing I noticed was the quirkiness of it all. Everyone was in uniform, jeans, black shoes and black shirt, but no one really matched. I was instructed to polish silverware and wine glasses and quickly noticed more of the same, the place was gorgeous and intimate, but nothing really matched. There was such a personality about this place. I was greeted by smiling faces, everyone was busy working and having fun. I knew right then that I had found a home. Shortly after setting up, we sat down for “Pre-Meal” something that I would soon learn to dread and as time when on, became one of my favorite parts of the day.
We all sat down and the management staff stood before us and briefly went over some daily housekeeping stuff, some specials, then came the scary part. Each and every member of the staff was required to randomly describe menu items in full, to a “T” and that’s when the fear set in. Obviously, I was new, but this stuff was complicated, thank God they didn’t require me to do this that day, because it would take me a long time to learn this ever changing foreign menu. For the last 15 minutes of pre-meal we discussed the core value’s of “The Pig” and that’s where I would learn the most about this unique place. Above all of the textbook stuff, the focus here was hospitality and how our day to day activities would impact each and every guest as an individual and these core values are what brought everything together and would eventually blow the doors of this place. I don’t think any of us knew what was about to happen. That night was busy, I worked hard and I made the cut, but we didn't even know what busy was yet, we were brand spankin’ new, as prepared as everyone was I’m not sure anyone really knew what was about to happen.
As I settled in to my new job I was made to feel very welcome. At the end of my first shift the staff all met up at the Irish Pub next door for drinks, each and every staff member bought me a drink and this was the first time I noticed that this was more than a restaurant, it was a family, a culture and I was intrigued. I would find out that all of these people were there to open this place a few months back.We were a motley crew of diverse personalities, clowns and eclectics. I quickly learned that as quirky as all of these personalities were together, there was a true sense of family here, a passion for this restaurant, we had started something together and I had arrived at the perfect time.
As time went on business began to climb at the Pig. Sometimes we would get blindsided and people would just randomly pour in. Things could be a bit disorganized, but we were all passionately pursuing the perfect dining experience for our guests. From owner to dishwasher we all worked as a team to make sure each and every guest had an “experience” that they would never forget and we were building upon that. Even when things when wrong (because in this business they do) we managed to shine. We were genuine and people could see that and a booming business was the inevitable result of that genuine hospitality.
The Iberian Pig was literally started on a dollar and a prayer. Fred Castellucci and Chad Crete started this place right out of college on a shoestring budget, with a philosophy in mind: Creating a place where people felt welcome, a place where people could get quality food, genuine service and have a memorable experience. The Iberian Pig is a place where you can be yourself and just relax and enjoy yourself and I am proud to see these guys reaping the fruits of their labor.
As time went on I moved to the bar creating classic cocktails with some of the best bartenders in the city. We had a kinship like no other. I almost liken my experience and memories of the Pig to those childhood memories of summer camp or of little league. We were a team and friends who made memories and friendships that will last a lifetime. Most of the original staff has since moved on, the Pig has produced some of the South’s best bartenders and chef’s and I am proud to see the people who I helped start this thing being successful. This was definitely an experience which I will never forget and I am grateful for everyone who was involved. At T.I.P. I was able to gain knowledge that I will never forget and friends who will last forever.
I bet that you were expecting some type food critique or something, plenty of people do that…this is just a tiny little glimpse of the great time in my life that was “The Pig”.
Check out the menu at www.theiberianpigatl.com
121 Sycamore St.
Decatur,GA30030
(404)371-8800
Cheers,
Tilly

No comments:
Post a Comment