Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Patience




Today I am going to write about a good friend of mine named "Patience". A couple of years ago I decided to begin an adventure to New Orleans. I had never been to New Orleans and I was in a seriously downtrodden state of mind when it came to my life. I had been through the ringer emotionally and this was just a time of healing for me. My time in New Orleans taught me to trust life and that anything and everything was possible and my friend Patience played a key role in this adventure for me.
On my second day of work at NACHO MAMAS on MAGAZINE ST. in New Orleans. That's where this kid of Okinawan decent came back flipping out of the kitchen and out to the bar and introduced himself as "Patience". Patience is in a band called the OMEGA PROJECT, a jam band. I quickly became friends with this happy go lucky guy in a rasta hat. We had some drinks and talked about Hawaii and music and hit it off from the get. I couldn't wait to introduce my friend to the others.

Later that evening we all assembled at my friend Keiths house uptown (thats where I was staying) party favors in hand I saw the first PATIENCE concert that I had ever seen and we were TAP TAP TAPPIN our toes all night long.
Patience and I quickly became good buds. I was acting and he was performing and we would tear up the New Orleans scene with Patience jumping on stage at any giving moment at famous spots like THE MAPLE LEAF and TIPITINAS. Patience was known all across New Orleans and we would spend our time spitting positive vibes at people and enjoying a great city.

That winter was the shit we did Mardi Gras and Omega did shows around the city. We frolicked about a crazy city like madmen in madness, spreading joy and love and being EPIC. We were afraid of nothing and doing what we loved.
Later I would leave New Orleans only to return and it not be the same. The vibe was different for me so I headed up to Oregon. Dropping myself in Oregon wasn't the brightest thing that I had every done. I was seeking out an unhealthy relationship and I decided to leave abruptly. I quickly left Oregon and called my buddy Patience who was just down the coast in SANTA CRUZ. I hitchhiked there and that was one of the most memorable experiences of my life. I again was trusting life, I had never hitched before and I was free. I slept under the Redwoods. As I pulled into San Francisco I was and headed toward the train I was excited to be seeing my old buddy.

My trip into Santa Cruz was a good one, I talked with a beautiful girl who designed skateboards and when I pulled in the city of Santa Cruz it was perfect. What a PLACE! Off in the distance was a tan Volvo with stickers of giant redwoods and bears all over labeled "CALIFORNIA GROWN" there was my buddy and a beatnik lookin dude with a beard. Welcome to California!

I quickly got up to date with Patience. The band was playing their first gig at a venue at a place called "The Attic. I was excited to see my buddies play on stage again, there were artists we were selling merchandise. It was a good time. In Santa Cruz I had been rediscovering myself again. I was learning to stand for what I believein. There was a lot of Pot. Patience got the opportunity to begin doing solo stuff and while he was playing more and more at parties and in living rooms, he began to establish his own sound again from a stage and captivate entire rooms with an embracing hip hop lyric over a pure acoustic sound. Patience began blowing people away. Throughout this time of watching my buddy progress and mature as a performer, step out of the shadow of the band and into his own spotlight. It all lowed me to create an image of myself as well and made me also grow. I became proud of who I am and what I intend to be as a man in this world and I really stepped out of some of my other friends shadows" I really believe that had a lot to do with my buddy Patience and his growth and maturing as a performer.

Now Patience is putting together his CD. I would love to pass on any love that I could and help spread his positive energy across the web. Word of mouth is everything.....and Patience....well........Word!

I hope you all get a chance to hear what I heard.

biggu....biggu!!

visit omegaprjectmusic.com or your can check 'em out on myspace

Patience solo :TBA

fo' mo'!
~tilly

1 comment:

Unknown said...

awww yea
thats exactly as I remembered it
you may have left out a few trips to the moon but I think they get the point
my brotha