Riding in a hot and uncomfortable bus for a bunch of hours
is one of the best quickest ways to find yourself. There is something about being forced to sit up
straight around a bunch of people who haven’t showered in days that makes you
very aware of who you are. I knew who I
was and I was about to get dropped off in a place where I never wanted to end
up. It wasn’t long before I was walking down the steps of that old
Greyhound Bus into the jam packed Los Angeles station, there were wall to wall
people of every ethnicity staring at me it seemed, so I hurried out and began
my walk into the dark City of Angels.
If you have never been to Skid Row I suggest you add it to
your list of places to see, TV doesn’t do it justice. Every night around dark the shops and
businesses which are in this area close down and homeless people from all over
the giant city arrive and begin to pitch tents, boxes and shopping carts
anywhere that they can find a spot and set camp for the night. The city has zoned this area as a place where
the homeless are welcome and for a mini city of the downtrodden is erected at
dusk and tore down at dawn 7 days a week, not the most positive place for
someone to be not matter what the circumstance.
This fine July evening I found myself amongst the vagabonds
of the world, nowhere to go and unsettled.
I had little money in my pocket, so reluctantly I travelled down the
urine riddled streets alongside America’s finest junkies and throw away War
Veterans. This is not where I was supposed to be, I hailed a cab to a hotel
Downtown and spent $100 of my dwindling bank roll. I will worry about what’s
next in the morning. I was about to embark
on an epic and life changing summer on the streets and beaches of Southern
California.
This is the
beginning of a series of short entries about my Los Angeles adventures.
If you read back it this blog there are actual entries when I was there.
I have decided to tell my story in a more detailed way, to fill in the
blanks. I hope that you come back and read more as I continue my story
with daily posts.
`tillyz

No comments:
Post a Comment